Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Baby Girl Baby Shower Cake and Cupcakes

One of the last cakes and cupcakes I did was for a baby girl baby shower. The mother wanted a two tiered cake that she had seen on the Internet, all she wanted was a few alterations. Now, I know I have told you guys many times not to use fondant with whipped cream frosting, well I had to break that rule again. This time though I combined the fondant with gumpaste (50/50) that way I could make the diamond pattern on the bottom tier. The pink is the whipped cream frosting and the yellow diamond pattern is the mixture of fondant and gumpaste. It worked out very well and surprisingly smooth and stayed pretty soft, I did put it on the morning of the shower, thus no sogginess : ) The top tier was whipped cream frosting with hand-piped vine work and flowers. The flowers and pink bow were handmade from gumpaste, hardening which allows the items to keep their shape. I love using gumpaste because it hardens in just 24 hours depending on the thickness, versus fondant which can take a few days to weeks to harden depending on the thickness. Overall, this cake turned out beautifully and the inside just as much. It was a simple marble cake with a vanilla cream filling and, of course, whipped cream frosting : )



The cupcakes that went with the two tiered cake were for the mom-to-be's mother. She loves buttercream, so since the tiered cake was whipped cream, I decorated the chocolate cupcakes with my homemade buttercream. The designs for the cupcakes were simple. The first was a pink flower pattern with edible silver glitter and an edible silver ball in the middle. The second design was a cream colored spiral pattern with a sprinkle of edible silver balls. Both designs complemented each other very nicely, as well as, complementing the cake colors to blend everything together. Simple designs, excellent taste : ) Also, the cupcakes were on one of my stands that I loan out, which adds to the overall look.






Here's how well they looked together...



No comments:

Post a Comment